Materials Used for Plastic Extrusion
Preferred Plastics is an industry-leading extruder of custom plastic products, parts, and components for industrial and consumer applications. We have the capabilities to extrude your product using a wide range of thermoplastic materials, including specialty compounds.
At Preferred Plastics, we are committed to sustainable, environmentally-responsible practices in our manufacturing practices and material selection. We can assist you in selecting environmentally friendly alternatives or compounds for your project.
Plastic Extrusion Process
Composite windows, vinyl fencing, and freezer gaskets are all examples of the wide variety of products that are produced using the high-volume plastic extrusion manufacturing process.
Plastic extrusion is continuous and capable of high volume output, making it a more economical plastics manufacturing method than other processes. In addition, tooling costs are relatively low.
Plastic extrusion works particularly well for production of plastic parts that have consistent wall thicknesses, and for profiles that are wider and longer than those produced by other types of manufacturing. Plastic films, bags, piping, tubing, rods, weather stripping, and deck railing are just a few of the many products that are successfully and economically produced by plastic extrusion.
Plastic Extrusion Materials
Our materials can be matched to virtually any color imaginable. Some materials are matched in-house by our own color experts, and others are matched through relationships with our world-class pigment and colorant partners.
Our extruded plastic parts are used in the automotive, processing, medical device, construction, marine, RV, and household appliance industries. Some of the materials available are:
- PVC (rigid and flexible)
- TPE (thermoplastic elastomer)
- HIPS (high impact polystyrene)
- PETG (polyethylene terephthalate)
- Noryl® PPO
- Polyethylene (HDPE, MDPE, & LDPE)
- EHMW (extra-high molecular weight polyethylene)
- TPO (thermoplastic olefin)
- TPV (thermoplastic vulcanizates)
- TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane)
- Custom compounds
At Preferred Plastics, a key component of our turnkey extrusion and finishing services is our dedicated customer support from your initial call through delivery of the finished product. We work with you to ensure that your part’s tooling and engineering is accurate before manufacturing begins. Our turnkey capabilities include:
- Two manufacturing facilities with a total of 200,000 square feet of capacity. Our 38 technologically advanced extruders provide the capability for profile extrusion, co-extrusion, crosshead, and tube extrusion services.
- Sizes from small components to larger, structural profiles
- Quantities ranging from prototypes to short runs and full production runs
- In-house tooling design and manufacturing
- Wide range of thermoplastic materials, including PVC, ABS, HIPS, HDPE, TPU, and TPE. We also offer custom compounding.
- Custom part configurations, including metal on the inside, cloth on the outside, multi-colored profiles, dual durometers, textured surfaces, and other configurations
- Physical testing during and after production to ensure consistency in product quality and that product specifications are met
- Finishing services, including close tolerance cutting, precision drilling, notching, punching, trimming, welding, stamping, and custom packaging
- ISO 9001:2008 certified manufacturing
At Preferred Plastics, we are committed to manufacturing a high quality part that meets your expectations, is delivered on time and on budget – all supported by superior customer service. We understand that the components and parts we deliver you are critical to the performance of your finished products and that the quality of our products impacts the quality of your products – and that it’s your reputation on the line. It’s that commitment that keeps our customers coming back.
Call today to see how we can help you! Kentucky Facility: (502) 935-3070 / Michigan Facility: (269) 685-5873